Monday, June 15, 2009

Avocado milkshake - Guayaquil, Ecuador


Just before going to bed on my last evening in Puerto Lopez, I did something unforgivable. To make a short story, I somehow walked on my daybag and putted my feet right on my camera. It broke the screen. The camera is still working but I have to take pictures on automatic and I can only see the result later when I load them up on the computer.
With over 2 million people, Guayaquil is the biggest city of Ecuador. It's also a conveninent place to take the bus to Peru. In the downtown area, the 9 de Octubre street is shopping central. There are stores that sell electronics, TVs, appliances and sometimes motorbikes too (all in the same store) at every block. I stopped at a couple of them to see if they could do anything with my camera but none of them could repair it. My walk coincided with a qualification game for next year's World Cup of soccer. The game was between Ecuador and Peru. People were congregating around TVs in restaurants and stores to watch the game, it was pretty intense. Ecuador won 2-1 (and they even beated Argentine two days after), making everyone happy and smiling (and some other, drunk).
In my hotel room, I did some tests with my camera. I took some random test picture and only saw the photos several days after when I loaded my pictures on the computer. I was suprised to see that when I took one of those, you could see me right in the centre of the bathroom mirror. I also took a bunch of picture in Parque Bolivar, a small park in the middle of concrete downtown were two or three dozens of big iguanas live.
Milkshakes and ice cream are popular in Ecuador. They make milkshakes with pretty much every fruits. I've tried to have a different one everyday when I was on the coast. I've heard good thing about the avocado milkshake and got one in Guayaquil. It is green, sweet and delicious. Best milkshake ever actually. I met alot of skeptics but the only way to really know is to try it.

Avant d'aller me coucher lors de ma derniere nuit a Puerto Lopez, j'ai fait quelque chose d'impardonnable. Pour faire une histoire courte, j'ai trouver le moyen de marcher sur mon sac a dos et de mettre mon pied directement sur ma caméra. J'ai cassé l'écran. La caméra fonctionne encore mais je peux seulement prendre des photos sur 'automatique' et je vois seulement le résultat lorsque je les charge sur l'ordinateur.
Avec plus de 2 millions d'habitant, Guayaquil est la plus grande ville d'Équateur. C'est aussi un endroit ou il est facile de prendre un autobus pour le Pérou. Dans le centre-ville, la rue 9 de Octubre est la rue pour magasiner. Il y a des magasins qui vendent électroniques, télés, appareils ménagers et parfois motocyclettes (tout dans le meme magasin) a tout les coins de rue. J'ai arreté a quelques uns d'entre eux pour voir s'ils pouvaient faire quelque chose pour ma caméra mais ils m'ont tous dit que non. Ma marche coincidait avec une partie de qualification pour la coupe du monde de football. La partie etait Equateur contre Pérou. Les gens se sont rassemblé autour des télés des restaurants et magasins pour regarder le match. C'etait assez intense. L'Equateur a gagné 2-1 (et ils ont meme battu l'Argentine deux jours plus tard), rendant tout le monde heureux et souriant (et quelques autres saouls).
Dans ma chambre d'hotel, j'ai fait quelques tests avec ma caméra. J'ai pris quelques photos mais les ai vu plusieurs jours plus tard lorsque je les ai chargé dans l'prdinateur. J'ai été surpris de voir que dans une des ces photos, on pouvait me voir directement au centre du mirroir de la salle de bain. J'ai aussi pris plusieurs photos dans le Parque Bolivar, un petit parc dans le milieu du centre-ville en béton qui abrite deux ou trois douzaines de grosses iguanes.
La creme glacée et les milkshakes sont tres populaire en Equateur. Ils font des milkshake avec a peu pres n'importe quel fruit. J'ai essayer d'en gouter un par jour lorsque j'étais sur la cote. J'ai entendu des bonnes choses a propos du milkshake aux avocats et j'en ai bu un a Guayaquil. C'est vert, sucré et délicieux. Probablement le meilleur. J'ai rencontré plusieurs sceptiques mais le meilleur moyen de savoir c'est d'y gouter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.